[alberg30] Mainsail Winch

Dick Filinich daf at mobiletel.com
Sat Feb 19 20:36:22 PST 2000

From: Dick Filinich <daf at mobiletel.com>

Jim wrote:

> From: Jim <jbcundif at csinet.net>
>
> Omniscient Hull #259 , recently purchased out of a Toledo Marina,  has
> been undergoing some refurbishing. Todays questions relate to the
> Mainsail winch....rigged to raise a wire Halyard.
> 1. Does anyone have one for sale?
> 2. Who made the winch originally.....the stamping is impossible to read
> and maybe something like "South Wind"?
> 3. Do the owners who sail with these wire winches like them?
> 4. What are good alternatives?
> Thank You for any contribution!
>     Jim

> credit you deserve! Apply now! Get your NextCard Visa at:
Jim:Just reinstalled mast on my boat yesterday after complete workover.I
had one of those wire halyard winches that had jumped the sheave three
feet trom top of mast,well that winch is history,stainless bolts in
aluminum would not move even with impact screwdriver,cut the winch into
pieces,installed new sheave for rope halyard and new winch for main.My
legs are killing me right now,today climbed straight up that mast on
those folding ABI mast steps to finish rigging halyards and checked all
new lights all ok.Been a while since I've done that much climbing,and to
make things a bit more tougher,quit smoking two months ago and I gained
20 lbs.I haven't been sailing for very long but I know I'll be much
happier with this all rope halyard,even the head sail was half cable and
half rope,thats been changed too.Hopefully now when I turn that main
halyard loose that sail is coming down free fall.
Dick "High Spirits"

Forever. If you have any desires to sell your products or services
online, or you want to expand your customer base for FREE, Come check
out Shabang!com FREE eStores!
http://click.egroups.com/1/1299/4/_/_/_/951021471/