[alberg30] Mainsail Winch

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at min.net
Sun Feb 20 10:14:20 PST 2000

From: George Dinwiddie <gdinwiddie at min.net>

Jim,

The issue of a wire halyard and the issue of a reel winch are
really two different things.  Using wire, or a wire-rope
combination, isn't necessarily bad, though the comments
about meathooks and low-stretch line are true.  A wire
halyard is a maintenance issue, not safety.

A reel halyard winch is a safety issue.  The problem is
that the handle is always connected.  If the halyard gets
away, that handle can do a lot of damage.  I'd get rid of
it.

There's lots of variations in halyard winch setups.  The
boats were delivered any way the buyer wanted them.  You
generally find zero, one or two winches mounted on the
mast.  I've got one.  I like having the main halyard at
the mast, because I've got to go up there for reefing,
anyway.  This way I can reef single-handedly.  I used to
have the main halyard led aft, and it wasn't as convenient.

I like having the jib halyard led aft.  That's a good place
to be when you're raising the jib, so you can tend to the
sheets.  And, if you rig a downhaul, you can drop the jib
from the cockpit if things get really rough.

 - George

Jim wrote:

> I thank you for your comments. I didn't like it at first glance but
> figured I just didn't understand it the whys and wherefores. I thought
> the one saving point was that it allowed a single handed sailor to
> raise an lower the main easily. Aside from the broken strands with
> meathooks causing a problem what is the other dangerous
> happenings...for instances what happens when you release the
> brake...how should the sail be lowered to do it safely.
>     Jim

Get your money connected @ OnMoney.com - the first Web site that lets you
see, consolidate, and manage all of your finances all in one place.
http://click.egroups.com/1/1636/4/_/_/_/951070282/