[alberg30] paint vs. Lexan

alberg30 alberg30 at interactive.net
Mon Feb 28 17:08:37 PST 2000

So yesterday I made the new instrument panel for the cockpit out a piece of commercial 1/4" thick Lexan. After cutting the instrument holes etc, I spray painted the Lexan with Rustoleum Multi-purpose Semi-gloss black paint on the backside, just like someone previously suggested.

It looked great.

Today I checked to see how the paint looked and deciding that it needed one more coat on the back side to  even the color throughout the Lexan, I repainted the black, with the same paint.

The paint instantly began to crack and obviously there was a chemical reaction going on. All the paint on the back of the Lexan cracked up and then I was able to smear it off with thinner. The Lexan is now marked on the back by traces of the chemical reaction. Maybe its salvageable, I don't know.

Whats the deal? Any ideas?

Could the problem be thinning agents mixed in the bottom of the can? I was near the end of the can of spray paint.

How about a temperature difference? I brought the can of paint in from the garage where its probably in the 40's. The panel was inside in 70 degrees.

Or maybe its the wrong paint all together?

Thanks:

Joe#499
"One Less Traveled"