[alberg30] Cost cutting shortcuts

John Birch Sunstone at idirect.com
Tue Feb 8 20:24:23 PST 2000

From: John Birch <Sunstone at idirect.com>

Actually Carl's original specification was for an external lead keel, and he was
not too happy about having to draw in an internal keel due to Hansen's insistence
on one. The ease of building is enhanced by internal construction but at least he
didn't fill the keel with punchings like some builders of the time did.

When one haggles down too hard you don't get the same quality - something has to
give.  The fact that with all the compromises, the A-30 is still a good boat,
indicates that corner cutting from Kurt's stand point is not the same as
producing crap. More specifically, the corner cuttings can largely be retrofitted
without too much effort.
Cheers,
John,
Sunstone KC-65.