[alberg30] cabin sole

John Birch sunstone at idirect.com
Mon Feb 21 08:40:06 PST 2000

Dan;

We used Cetol M on our sole after chemically cleaning with a soft cloth
instead of a brush with a two part teak cleaner and lots of water. Scrub
across the grain to not remove so much of the soft pulp wood which
leaves ridges. The sole is smooth.

The Cetol we painted on the first coat lightly with a foam brush and
then applied like a stain the next three coats, which we wiped off after
applying to give minimum coat thickness.  Every season I give a wipe
down with a Cetol soaked rag like a stain and the finish has held up
well and gives good traction when wet.  No sanding and no non skid
added.  The finish has held up well and we're pleased with it.

We always change from our street shoes so the boat shoes do not pick up
much street dirt and grit.

Remember that the veneer on most Albergs was either 1/32 or 1/64th
depending on the production year, with only a few first generation boats
with any kind of thickness in the teak sole.

Therefore I do not recommend sanding the sole at all.

Notwithstanding, use a tack rag before applying each coat.

Cheers,

John