[alberg30] Old Boats, Good Therapy!

Scott Wallace tristan at one.net
Wed Jan 19 17:47:40 PST 2000

From: Scott Wallace <tristan at one.net>

Hi Albergians,

This fascinating thread that started with David Bell's
inquiry about what sounds like a "true fixer upper brings to
mind a number of issues:

Bristol fashion Albergs command top price, they are a "pull
sail cover off, through mooring lines to shore and let's
sail!"

Relatively well kept and upgraded Alberg 30s may be found
within a reasonable range ($7000 - $15,000)

True fixer uppers range from $1000 - $6,000; also true fixer
uppers may not always be fixed up in the time first
projected - like many projects they may cost a lot more and
take a lot longer due to learning curves, unforeseen
problems and fate

One thing to be said for the fixer upper (and I, too am one!
- I have a 1968 Bluenose 24 designed by Roue of Nova Scotia
and a 1963 Pearson Electra designed by Carl Alberg - as well
as a "new" car, a 1986 BMW 528e with many needs.  When money
is a critical factor fixer uppers give us a chance to
experience something of high quality for a reasonble to us
price.  Our intuition allows us to vision what the "basket
case" to most people will look like when it is finished; and
after a point you can enjoy the fixer upper before it is
fully restored.  There is also a therapeutic reward from
fixing up a house, boat or car that comes from hard physical
labour, rigourous mental discipline and emotional rest from
seeing the beauty arise from the Phoenix like Alberg!
Why it could even serve as a group or family therapy!
Better than subscribing to "Affluenca" and getting in over
our heads....Just some thoughts...

Scott Wallace, Hopeful for an Alberg 30 some day!

Sign up for eLerts at: