[alberg30] Armchair sailing

SandersM at aol.com SandersM at aol.com
Thu Jan 20 10:29:46 PST 2000

From: SandersM at aol.com

Okay, I know this is not a posting about A30s.  But I've been rereading
Erskine Childers' book, The Riddle of the Sands, and I find it helpful escape
from the snows that are falling outside here in Manhttan this afternoon.
Childers was an Irishman, an avid sailor, and a gunrunner for the Irish
rebels prior to its independence.  After Ireland's independence in 1922, and
the ensuing civil war, he was executed by one faction for suspicion of
espionage on behalf of the English -- a ridiculous accusation.

Childers wrote Riddle of the Sands as a spy thriller set at the turn of the
century aboard a 30 foot sailboat cruising the Frisian Islands, the sandbar
barrier islands that border the Dutch and German coasts.  It is thick with
descriptions of sailing that do much to put the reader on the water with him.
 Disregard the several references to a centerboard, and you can imagine it
all happening aboard your favorite A30.

Sorry to go off-topic, but I thought some of you might be in need of a
diversion.

Sanders McNew
WILD ELF  (# 297)
Oyster Bay, New York