[alberg30] GrayMarine rebuild

Alan P. Kefauver apk2 at home.com
Thu Jan 20 13:47:50 PST 2000

From: "Alan P. Kefauver" <apk2 at home.com>

Well finally found a good guy in Baltimore to rebuild my GM25. Took the engine over there, they stripped and inspected it. Water jacket is good and block is sound. Complete rebuild with new bearings, valves, head planed, cylinders bored, a complete rebuild. Estimate was $3200. They claim the engine will be like new. It's really a late model Continental engine with some older Continental parts with the block cast for GrayMarine. The only decision I had to make was what color to have it painted. Should be ready in about 30-45 days. I'll let you know. Wallace Engines of Essex MD. Has rebuilt GM25 before, and A4's. Said the GM is a better more rugged engine, but that's their opinion. (Does boat engines such as rebuilds for the engines in the baltimore water taxis, flat head fords, and builds dragsters, interesting place) (They are talking to me about making my Cobra faster too.)

Hatches nearly done. Built a form for the main hatch, and laminated two 1/4" Marine ply sheets over the form. Laminated another from non marine play and used that as a press to clamp the teak veneer over the marine play. Used West  Epoxy with filler additives. Fore hatch and lazarette hatch to go and all are done. While the engine is out, replaced the cockpit thru hulls, and routed the ice box drain into the port one. Drained, cleaned, and sanitized the bilge (ugh). Adding an electric bilge pump and routing the manual one through a thru hull next to the exhaust ( was open the locker throw the hose over the side and pump). Adding Nexus system wind, depth, speed, gps system.  Scaping, painting, varnishing the inside. Need to rebuild the head.

Then.... going sailing June thru August on the Chesapeake. ( I teach, so 3 months off). Can't wait.

Alan
Andante A30#152