[alberg30] A30 props

Christopher Sousa jsss at net1plus.com
Sun Jan 16 19:01:40 PST 2000

From: Christopher Sousa <jsss at net1plus.com>

Peter:

We also noticed that you have a 2:1 ratio to transmission which is set
up for gas engines that rev higher rpms.  Need to be 1:1 ratio for
diesel engine which would reduce the rpms's at higher boat speed.

In addition to this look at the pitch of the prop. 12X8 is for a gas
engine.

Regards,

Steve Sousa

> Peter Amos wrote:
>
> From: "Peter Amos" <P.A.Amos at tesco.net>
>
> I have a Westerbeke M320B  18hp diesel with 2:1  transmission
> reduction. The prop is a 3 blade 12x8 . To get more than 5 knots I
> have to use 3000+ revs. Is this about right for this combination of
> motor and transmission or could I do better with a different prop?
> Is there a site that gives prop sizes for boat and power combinations?
> Thanks Russ for your comments.
> Peter Amos "Tait Tait" 478
>                           [ONElist Sponsor]
>                Please click above to support our sponsor

Sign up for eLerts at: