[alberg30] brightwork

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Wed Jan 19 16:57:50 PST 2000

From: FINNUS505 at aol.com

Hey Sanders,
Varnish-a topic near and dear to my heart!!!!!!!!!

I've used sikkens-put on three coats onto wooded down teak toerails and hand
rails.  It looks pretty, but does 'muddy' the grain abit.  On my application,
I had to redo some areas mid-season.  I think it was because there was some
old teak oil left in the wood in those areas, and that interefered with
adhesion of the sikkens.  I was not thrilled with the sikkens.  to get a good
job, you have to get down to clean wood, just as if you were going to
varnish, and then you have to put on three coats, which they say you do not
have to sand inbetween coats, but roughing up with 3M scotch brite will not
hurt.
I feel if the prep work is so similar, you might as well varnish already. 4-6
healthy coats of Z Spar Captains Varnish lasts the season.  At seasons end,
light sand, and put on two new coats, and the varnish work is done for a year
if the boat is covered for the winter.  Like the sikkens, if you get a full
thickness ding, a light sanding of the ding, and a couple of coats of varnish
there will preserve the wood.  And the varnish is definitely more beautiful.
Rather than muddy the grain, varnish highlights it. It's not that much more
work, the expense, 15-20 dollars a quart, depending on where you go, is about
the same, and the results are worth it.
Are you a varnisher?  If not, I'll be glad to share my techniques with you. I
go for a pragmatic longevity of the coat and realistic ease of application,
as opposed to the plate glass, pro look.
Hope this helps,
Lee
Stargazer #255

Sign up for eLerts at: