[alberg30] Alberg 30, Texas review

John Birch Sunstone at idirect.com
Sun Jan 30 06:52:22 PST 2000

From: John Birch <Sunstone at idirect.com>

Oh Russ, I respectfully disagree, I would council he buy the boat he wants first
hand not a compromise with a Gramp 26. If this deal can't come together, so be
it, look for another - A30.

To the purchaser, the decks were in good shape, not soft.  Was the weather above
freezing to be sure you weren't walking on frozen waterlogged core?

Waterlogged decks appear as stiff as the masonite decks until thaw time - then,
oh oh.

Moisture meters are fair at best, the barefoot walk about on the deck, in
sustained above freezing temperatures along with the meter is the best way to
determine core condition along with selective percussion on suspect areas with a
coin or other metal tool.

Don't rely on only one of the above techniques, use 'em all in conjunction and
make sure the core isn't frozen.

Spreaders, in aluminium $300 CDN for airfoil ones.  Cost of refit add 100% to
what ever number you estimate and you'll likely be over that budget by 30% in the
end.  If not, buy a nice bottle of Perrier-Jouet to celebrate.

Russ, thanks for the Alberg rating stuff.

John