[alberg30] Alberg 30, Texas review

dai at pdq.net dai at pdq.net
Sun Jan 30 15:24:31 PST 2000

From: "dai at pdq.net" <dai at pdq.net>

Well,
You can compare designs, ie, alberg to other boats but Dieter Empacher (sp)
sure did a fine job for Bristol. The 29.9 is interior volume wise about the
size of the older 34. More than the 32.

If I didn't mention it, there is a 30 also at the same dock which will go
for sale soon but I can't get ahold of the owner.

The Cape Dory is smaller 30 than the 29.9 but a very nice boat.

At any rate: I found a Pearson 30 via the phone )saw her in the distance(
and when I called back my friend told me that boat may go for next to
nothing....

So the networking is expanding my visits bountifully.

I very much like the 29.9. I cannot imagine the interior space of the 35.5
when comparing the 34. So it must be a great boat.

Anyway: I am still deliberating on the Alberg. I think I am going to start
out at 4500. and see what goes from there.

No, it was not freezing--except to those who have lived in Texas all their
lives. It is like Oriental at 48 degrees with a blustery wind. Texans go
about in Parkas. Those new to Texas will be in a light Sweater or maybe
a wool shirt over a shirt. I am at the heavy sweater stage having resided
here for 9 years....Oh, well, okay, I am a sissy now but I did live in
Wisconsin and at 8500 ft in Colorado West of Boulder.

But the boat is sound from an amateur and a bit more experienced sailor and
amat. buyer. ENOUGH to do to make it a pain but with the fixed spreader, good
sails and extrusions otherwise, ready to at least sail. The Pearson may need
a lot more work but for dimes and nickels maybe. Which allows me to purchase
the Day Sailer(DS) for my son to race at Clear lake. Oh, well.

dai
>===== Original Message From alberg30 at onelist.com =====
>From: John Birch <Sunstone at idirect.com>
>
>Oh Russ, I respectfully disagree, I would council he buy the boat he wants
first
>hand not a compromise with a Gramp 26. If this deal can't come together, so
be
>it, look for another - A30.
>
>To the purchaser, the decks were in good shape, not soft.  Was the weather
above
>freezing to be sure you weren't walking on frozen waterlogged core?
>
>Waterlogged decks appear as stiff as the masonite decks until thaw time -
then,
>oh oh.
>
>Moisture meters are fair at best, the barefoot walk about on the deck, in
>sustained above freezing temperatures along with the meter is the best way to
>determine core condition along with selective percussion on suspect areas
with a
>coin or other metal tool.
>
>Don't rely on only one of the above techniques, use 'em all in conjunction
and
>make sure the core isn't frozen.
>
>Spreaders, in aluminium $300 CDN for airfoil ones.  Cost of refit add 100% to
>what ever number you estimate and you'll likely be over that budget by 30% in
the
>end.  If not, buy a nice bottle of Perrier-Jouet to celebrate.
>
>Russ, thanks for the Alberg rating stuff.
>
>John
>

>Rap1208 at aol.com wrote:
>
>> From: Rap1208 at aol.com
>>
>> David, my guess of what you should offer has dropped about two grand.  The
>> absent owner must remember her in her glory days, not as she is.  The
broker
>> will take as much as any one will pay......perhaps a fool will walk in and
>> pay the asking price, but no one has yet.
>>                                                         If you want to
sail,
>> the Granpian 26 is not a bad boat, if the price is right, and has, perhaps,
>> more boom below than the Alberg.  Buy her, sail her, while you find an
Alberg
>> thats fits you better.  It sounds as If you are busy enough  already.
>>
>> Russ Pfeiffer

>> GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds.  Get rates as low as 0.0 percent
>> Intro APR and no hidden fees.  Apply NOW.
Here</a>

Regards,

David Bell - dai at pdq.net

The young bloods of the South; sons of planters,
lawyers about towns, good billiard players and
sportsmen, men who never did any work never will.
War suits them.. They are splendid riders, first
rate shots and utterly reckless. These men must
all be killed or employed by us before we can hope
for peace.

General W. T. Sherman