[alberg30] RE: 66 a30 - Upon her course then

dai at pdq.net dai at pdq.net
Thu Jan 20 20:47:35 PST 2000

From: "dai at pdq.net" <dai at pdq.net>

I don't know if I will buy this boat. But I decided on
her maximum price and what the offer below that was
likely to be.

I spent the week poking through an imaginary boat. But
it was something I could touch.

Into every nook and cranny, tasting the wood, the
smell, I went. I felt a tension in her stiffness as she is
brought close to the wind.

It is not thinking. I see her with the eye of
the soul, How strange.

So I walk down to the dock,
where men once embarked into the bay and the Gulf to cast
nets for fish and shrimp by the sea from wooden boats she of
their lineage. Myself am faded and dark...a image of a passenger
perched upon, who might change with the passage of time. The
boat will endure beyond me, and I might see myelf a nuance
of it. She lies tender to healing at first, then settles
in and firm upon her course.

The dimness of night fades. Light strikes the lens
of the retina with just a dream, as if a woman I once
loved were she, floating away from shore.

She born of them.  Their deep lines, and strongly
demarked shape are her curves.  A strong machine yet so
wildly pretty.

Serene in movement after laying over to heel as if a
head were supported against the pillow of a bed in the
early breeze of morning blown through a window.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I made the "Close Racing" photo
from one of the sites my wallpaper both at home and at
work. It is a great photo. But it brings the dreams about
sailing, racing, cruising, the boat, the water, the sky.
The horizon is alive beyond, and in the wake is the
stream of bubbles and foam which trail into the
recesses of my brain.

I even was able to do a bit of the job today. That was
the real struggle.

Regards,

David Bell - dai at pdq.net

The young bloods of the South; sons of planters,
lawyers about towns, good billiard players and
sportsmen, men who never did any work never will.
War suits them.. They are splendid riders, first
rate shots and utterly reckless. These men must
all be killed or employed by us before we can hope
for peace.

General W. T. Sherman