[alberg30] Sailing Books

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Fri Jan 21 14:33:14 PST 2000

From: FINNUS505 at aol.com

Sanders,
One of my hobbies is collecting as many of the small boat (25-45 feet)
single-handed voyaging books from the 20's and 30's as I have been able to
find, as well as other voyaging books.

Start with Vito Dumas' "Alone through the Roaring Forties". The library must
have a copy by you. Another good one is "Wind Alo, Wind Aloft" by Marin
Marie. The all time classic, though, and maybe the first one you should read
is 'N by E' by Rockwell Kent.  Yes, start with the 'N by E'.  Once you start
it, you won't be able to put it down, I promise. Nice wood cuts by the author
highlight each chapter.

Of course, Joshua Slocum's 'Sailing Alone Around the World" was the first,
from 1899 or so, and is very well written. But read 'N by E' first.

Hope this helps,
Lee
Stargazer #255