[alberg30] Engine Water Intake, flushout valve

Wed Jul 19 06:20:58 PDT 2000

I think you'll find the engine intake, like the head intake and
galley seawater intake, are 3/4 inch.  This is a good time to
remind everyone to check these.  While the 1-1/4" throughhulls
are ok, Whitby made their own 3/4 inch ones.  They took a piece
of pipe and fastened a fender washer on the end.  It doesn't
take much corrosion to cause these to fall apart.  I was lucky,
my engine intake throughhull fell apart when the boat was on
the hard and I went to replace the gate valve.  Other boats
have sunk in the slip due to these.

There shouldn't be many left, but check yours if you haven't
already.  They're easy to spot by the annular ring where the
pipe was peened over the washer.  Even if it's in good shape,
replace it.  3/4" throughhulls are pretty cheap.

 - George

  George Dinwiddie                                  gdinwiddie at min.net
  sailing.                         NEW URL => http://www.Alberg30.org/