[alberg30] Westerbeke problem

Gordon E. White gewhite at crosslink.net
Wed Jul 5 05:51:13 PDT 2000

For those with Westerbeke diesels, here's a warning:  the short fuel
line from the filter to the pump is a potential failure. Mine broke at
the filter fitting. The filter is rigidly mounted while the pump is
mounted with rubber shock mounts. The 1/4" steel tubing is too short to
absorb the vibration and is subject to early fatigue failure. (My engine
is just a young one with 300 hours on it.)

    The line broke at night in no wind in Thimble Shoals Channel in a
2-knot tide current. Not nice! Cost me a SeaTow in to Little Creek and a
day finding a skilled welder to make a temporary fix with a low amp
wire-fed machine. The replacement part took a week to get.

    Westerbeke has replaced the steel line with a neoprene hose with
swedged fittings on each end ($58) so obviously they had trouble with
the part.

                                    - Gordon White A-275

Explore the popular High-End Room -
Go To Where The Smart People Shop-uBid.com
http://click.egroups.com/1/6141/10/_/476031/_/962797757/