[alberg30] leak

sandersm at aol.com sandersm at aol.com
Wed Jul 12 11:00:29 PDT 2000

The past couple of weeks, I have noticed an intermittent slow leak,
apparently of sweet water, aboard WILD ELF  (# 297).  It is in the forepeak,
where the base of the small  V-berth filler seat joins the cabin sole.  A
quick check of the adjacent lockers showed sweet water standing in the bottom
of the lower starboard locker that runs from the filler to the hanging
locker.  The leak appeared while I was tied up alongside a dock on the Hudson
River (fair weather, no rain to account for it), and disappeared when I
returned to my mooring in Oyster Bay.

I am assuming it is my water tank, but I am puzzled that it arose only when I
was tied up at a slip.  Any ideas?  If it is my tank, then how do I get
access to it to find and fix the leaks.  I am fearing that you are all going
to tell me that I must dismantle the forepeak berths to do this; if so, has
anyone come up with another tankage solution that avoids the need for surgery
and does not affect the boat's trim?  Or should I simply swear off marinas
and docks from now on?

All advice greatly appreciated.

Sanders McNew
WILD ELF  (# 297)
Oyster Bay, New York

LOW RATE, NO WAIT!
Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds!  Get rates
as low as 2.9% Intro or 9.9% Fixed APR and no hidden fees.
http://click.egroups.com/1/6629/10/_/476031/_/963424834/