[alberg30] Drinking water

Fri Jul 14 09:40:13 PDT 2000

Lee,

It's my understanding that cured epoxy is pretty stable stuff and
suitable for food contact.  It may be worth checking out, though.
I don't think it's worth assuming that you must use more
expensive materials to be safe, or even that more expensive
materials are safer.  Certainly monel is not necessary for
water storage.

You can find the MSDS for W.E.S.T. epoxy at
http://www.cris.com/~westsys/safety/msds105.shtml This indicates
that the primary  route of entry is skin contact and the result
may be skin irritation, redness or rash.  If ingested, it has "low
acute oral toxicity."  The hardener MSDS
(http://www.cris.com/~westsys/safety/msds205.shtml) says "Single
dose oral toxicity is low.  May cause gastrointestinal tract
irritation."

General safety guidelines are at http://www.cris.com/~westsys/safety/safety.shtml
I'll send an email to safety at westsystem.com and inquire about
the use of epoxy inside potable water tanks.

 - George

  George Dinwiddie                                  gdinwiddie at min.net
  sailing.                         NEW URL => http://www.Alberg30.org/