[alberg30] leaks

dick dickdurk at intercom.net
Tue Jul 18 06:14:15 PDT 2000

On my non-liner boat (#220), I had room enough to run a jig saw through the
plywood over the water tank where the center seat is.I used a (beckson, I think)
screw thread deckplate for an access port in the water tank, and a larger pop
in (with O-ring)deckplate to finish the plywood. I think I got that from a Hobie
cat dealer. The Beckson assembly fit through the larger deckplate opening.

About the Water leak. It's embarrassing to admit how many years it took to figure
tjis out, but there is a rubber hose used as a vent for the water tank that
floats around the vicinity of the chain locker. If you fill the water tank all
the way up, that air vent becomes... a water vent. I put a vinyl extension on
mine and try to remember to run it out the hawse pipe beforefilling.. Someday
I'll run a vent out the side like every other boat has :)

There seems to be a lot of concern about  epoxy components leeching into the
water supply. I once worked on a contstruction job  where epoxy paint was used
to coat exposed steel.  Although the paint was packaged for industrial use (you
are supposed to use material safety data sheets to get the full scoop), instructions
on the can went into some detail about how to use the product to coat insides
of community water towers. I take that to mean the stuff is considered chemically
inert as far as digestion is concerned-certainly after cure.

Michael
Checkmate #220