[alberg30] Bob Johns/Schaefer Furling

Peter Hay phay at netcom.ca
Sun Jul 23 18:05:02 PDT 2000

Ditto to Bob Johns comments about the old Schaefer furling.  I have it on my boat and I really marvel at the power it puts out.  I was racing a Hughes 31 last week that has modern furling, high aspect main and longer waterline.  We beat that boat soundly in spite of the fact that the Schaefer wire luft has a distinct curve about 6 or 7 inches off the forestay about half way up.   My only complaint is the size of the drum.  It barely holds enough line to furl it completely.  I have wondered about using a wire/rope combo for the furling line.  If anyone has any suggestions, let me know.
Peter Hay
phay at netcom.ca