[alberg30] Bob and Russ/Schaefer Furling

Peter Hay phay at netcom.ca
Wed Jul 26 16:24:26 PDT 2000

Your thoughts on the Schaefer furling are interesting.

I have been somewhat afraid to really tighten the furling halyard because the original phenolic block broke on mine just as I was unfurling leaving Goderich harbour.  I had the engine on at the time and my son dragged the sail, halyard, etc. out of the water before it tangled in the prop.  We were just off the rock breakwater with the wind blowing us toward it when the collapse came--scary.  I replaced that block with a 2" harken block but have been leary of more problems.  Perhaps I should rack the halyard more.  The wire comes all the way to the winch so I don't have to worry about the wire/rope splice.
You are right about the sail working well on a reach--I'll have to pay more attention as to how close to the wind I can come with it.
Great talking with you
Peter on the West Coast of Huron