[alberg30] (unknown)

Alan P. Kefauver apk2 at home.com
Tue Jul 4 12:14:10 PDT 2000

Hello,
Once again my main halyard has jumped out of the aft sheave and wedged itself between the mast and the sheave. This is getting ridiculous! What solutions have others devised for this problem. I think one of the problems is that the halyard comes down the front fo the mast, goes round a turning sheave, then through  a fixed eye on the cabin top to a reel halyard (widow maker) winch. Does anyone else have this arrangement? Was this standard on early boats?

Will a rope sheave fit in the mast head? I am considering going all rope. Maryland Marina, who has a good rigger, is recommending replacing the sheave since the bearings are probably shot and out of round and the sheave apears scored (looking at it with binoculars), and going to a wire/rope combination with a winch on the mast. They think all the current turns contributes to causing the jumping out because the lay of the wire is constantly being turned. I don't mind adding a winch as I like to raise the halyard from the mast anyway and want to do away with that dangerous and old reel halyard winch.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Alan
Andante #152