[alberg30] Re: Drinking water

Richard Wagner rwagner1 at ameritech.net
Fri Jul 14 21:31:18 PDT 2000

--- In alberg30 at egroups.com, finnus505 at a... wrote:
> Hey Gang,
> I've been following this thread about the deteriorating water tanks
in our 30
> year old boats, and the accompanying problems with leaks, etc. Some
of the
> solutions that have been suggested, such as painting the inside of
the tanks
> with epoxy, using 5200 as a sealant, etc. make me nervous as you
expose your
> drinking water to these organic chemicals.
>
> Having a new tank made up of Monel or other materials that do not
leach out
> possibly toxic residues may be expensive initialy, but they will
increase the
> chance that you will have a long healthy life to amortize the
expense over!

> Regards,
> Lee
> Stargazer, #255

Lee,

For what its worth, I had to add another outlet to my water tank. I
called the Todd company, manufacturer of my water tank to find out
what can safely be used to install a new fitting to the tank. They
told me that they use 3M 5200 on all their water tanks. They are
advertised in BoatUS as FDA approved tanks.

Good Luck,

Dick

Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds!
1. Fill in the brief application