[alberg30] Re: leak

Dick Fecchia fecchia at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 15 19:01:55 PDT 2000

Just a thought -- has anyone tried replacing the water tank with
some type of hard plastic container?  Food storage businesses seem
to have a variety of hard plastic containers that just might fit in
the cavity.  Finding one to fit in the cavity may be difficult but
not impossible -- and it could be less expensive and it would last
forever.
Dick Fecchia
Future owner of MiLady(# 302)
Virginia Beach, Va

--- In alberg30 at egroups.com, sandersm at a... wrote:
> The past couple of weeks, I have noticed an intermittent slow leak,
> apparently of sweet water, aboard WILD ELF  (# 297).  It is in the
forepeak,
> where the base of the small  V-berth filler seat joins the cabin
sole.  A
> quick check of the adjacent lockers showed sweet water standing in
the bottom
> of the lower starboard locker that runs from the filler to the
hanging
> locker.  The leak appeared while I was tied up alongside a dock on
the Hudson
> River (fair weather, no rain to account for it), and disappeared
when I
> returned to my mooring in Oyster Bay.
>
> I am assuming it is my water tank, but I am puzzled that it arose
only when I
> was tied up at a slip.  Any ideas?  If it is my tank, then how do I
get
> access to it to find and fix the leaks.  I am fearing that you are
all going
> to tell me that I must dismantle the forepeak berths to do this; if
so, has
> anyone come up with another tankage solution that avoids the need
for surgery
> and does not affect the boat's trim?  Or should I simply swear off
marinas
> and docks from now on?
>
> All advice greatly appreciated.
>
> Sanders McNew