[alberg30] Simplicite Furler

Guy Lalonde lalondegc at videotron.ca
Tue Jul 18 16:12:26 PDT 2000

Bill,

a few friends at my marina have a Simplicité Furler and they are very
satisfied with it. I have not heard of any of them having any trouble with
it. Simplicité is, as you may have guessed, the french word for simplicity
and it carries its name well. Aluminum extrusions and drum painted white, no
chromed parts, I think the bushings are delrin, extrusions and drum assembly
rest on a clamp mounted around the lower swage fitting on the forestay wire.
I believe it is not compatible with swageless fittings (like Sta-Loks or
Norsemans). Not very expensive. The maker claims all parts can easily be
made by any machine shop if ever a part broke. It has its own built-in
halyard running through a cheek block mounted on the upper most extrusion.
No danger of halyard wrap when furling. Your existing jib halyard is free to
be used for something else, like holding up a wind scoop or mini-awning over
the forward hatch when at anchor. I once helped a friend install one, very
straight forward.

Guy