[alberg30] Atomic 4

Brian Zinser bzinser at nmu.edu
Fri Jul 21 10:54:06 PDT 2000

I have a GM25 and I add lead to my gasoline.

As for the post on heavy weather handling, I was caught last summer of
Whitefish Pt. in sustained winds of 40 knots gusting to 60. Things were not
too bad with two reefs and a working jib until the main blew out.  Bad news
was nearest harbor of refuge was over 35 nm in each direction.  Plus, being
only 10 miles or so from the sinking location of the Edmund Fitzgerald, it
was pretty scary.  After my main blew, I used by engine to keep the bow at
about a 45 degree angle to the ever increasing waves.  I was miserable for
about 5-6 hours as the tops of the 6-8 foot waves were being blown off and
every time the "three sisters" would appear, the entire boat was covered
with cold Lake Superior water.

In retrospect, I think the boat can handle a lot more than I can.  Also,
during the peak of summer in these latitudes, the wind can't blow forever.
However, I always make sure I have a good up to the minute weather report
before heading out, especially after about the 15th of August.

Brian
#134 Manana