[alberg30] Boom Vang arrangements

Thu Jun 8 06:03:11 PDT 2000

Chris,

We've got a simple, functional arrangement with a bail on the boom and mast.
They're both held by bolts going all the way through.  The one on the mast
uses the bolt that holds the shoe on.  It's been quite a while, but I think
the bails were off-the-shelf at Boats'r'US.  What's the width of the boom?
Would http://www.sailnet.com/store/merchant.ihtml?pid=7580&step=4 work?

The tackle is a 4:1 with the cleat on the block (mainsheet block).  You do
have to go up on the cabin top to set the vang.  The tackle has snap shackles
on each end and can also be used as a preventor.

I'd say our vang attaches a little further back than a 45 degree angle.

 - George

  George Dinwiddie                                  gdinwiddie at min.net
  sailing.          http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Alberg30/