[alberg30] Kubota Conversion

Tom Sutherland sutherlandt at prodigy.net
Thu Jun 8 09:02:24 PDT 2000

Dick ,

To bring you up to date ...  I am still trying to make a final decision
on an engine for my boat. I have decided that the one I pulled out
(Westerbeke 30) is going to be far too expensive to try to rebuild. Even
though I had planned to do the work myself. The cost of parts is
excessive. I could have spent $3500 just getting started. Cam and
lifters came to $1800.00 and I did need them.

Can you tell me if you know whether the Kubota if you installed is the
same as the Universal ? I am looking at the Universal M-320B as it is
one of the ones recommended as a refit for the Atomic-4. One dealer said
Kubota is same as Universal.

Also am considering the Westerbeke 30B THREE and the 20B TWO. did you
check out any of the Westerbekes and if so what did you think. All three
of the engines I have mentioned above can be viewed at
....www.westerbeke.com.... As you might know they also own Universal.

One of the determining factors  aside from the cost of rebuild is that
when I removed the old engine from the boat she perked up on her water
line and looked so much better then she had looked since I had first put
her in the water. The weight of this old Westerbeke really made her
squat. I believe engine and trans was about 600 lbs.

If anyone else can contribute to this debacle ... please chime in.

Tom S