mailing lists & forums (was viruses)

Wed Jun 28 07:41:44 PDT 2000

Paul,

Actually, I plan to set up a system on Alberg30.org so we're not
dependent on others.  Online message boards have their place, but
can be very inefficient, especially the way they're usually implemented
on the web.  I've never seen anything yet that equals the old
Compuserve forums combined with an off-line reader.

I'll be using the Mailman list manager (http://www.list.org/) which
supports an email list with web-based archiving.  It also has hooks
for a gateway to a news server, but I'm not sure the alberg30.org
server will allow a news server.  That's on the list of things to
look at.  If not, maybe a web-based forum could use the same gateway.

Setting these things up is a big job and takes time.

 - George

  George Dinwiddie                                  gdinwiddie at min.net
  sailing.                         NEW URL => http://www.Alberg30.org/