[alberg30] steering wheel

finnus505 at aol.com finnus505 at aol.com
Fri Jun 16 15:01:58 PDT 2000

Hey Pete,   Welcome aboard!

Some people love wheels.  They give more mechanical advantage in steering,
some argue it is easier to fit an electric autopilot to them,
The compass in the binacle is easier to read, and may have less deviation
than a compass in the step on the bridgedeck. You can hang thing on the
binnacle, like sunglasses, a hat, an emergency knife, etc.
You can have a small cockpit table mounted on the for face of the binnacle,
ready to fold down into position any time for drinks or food, or reading,
etc, etc.

But, I don't like wheels on a sailboat!!  The most important reason, is that
I loose a lot of the feel of the boats motion, balance under the current sail
plan, the feel of the rudder going through the water, and the pressure on the
rudder, again , an indicator of sail balance, boat balance, etc.  The wheel
and pedesal take up alot of room in the cockpit.

There's that famous photo of John Alden steering one of his Malabar
schooners. He must have been in one of the Bermuda races   in the 20's or
30's.  There he is sitting on the varnished wheelbox, one hand on one spoke
of the traditional wooden wheel, surrounded by all the varnished cockpit
coamings, and the wood blocks and wooden booms overhead.  Sure, he looks
great sitting there, the sun on his weatherbeaten face, his loose white
cotton shirt luffing in the breeze.  He looks more like a pirate than a
cruising sailor!!

So sure, a wheel may look nice too, even if it a SS destroyer type wheel,
attached to a white binacle, which has its own plastic engine controls, and
stainless steel pipes going verticaly to help hold up and protect the wheel
and binnacle.

If the boat is properly balanced, meaning the mast step position and the rake
of the mast, and the choice of sails for a given wind and sea are all
correct, not much  force should be needed at the tiller. So unless the
skipper has very distinct tastes, or has a disability which is of course a
valid reason for choosing any piece of gear that can help. I personaly would
never choose a wheel.  If a boat I wanted to buy, because she had everything
I wanted, had a wheel, I would remove it, and install/reinstall a tiller.

But that's just my opinion :)

Lee
Stargazer 255