[alberg30] rigging

Guy Lalonde lalondegc at videotron.ca
Thu Mar 2 13:11:38 PST 2000

From: Guy Lalonde <lalondegc at videotron.ca>

Shawn.

Upper shrouds, forestay and backstay : 1/4 inch Stainless Steel 304
Lower shrouds : 3/16 Stainless Steel 304

If you sail down south, it's recommended you use 316 because it is more rust
resistant than 304. But the breaking load of 316 is 15 - 20 % less than 304.
So it's recommended you go up one size of wire if you go for 316. Also if
you move up one size you will have to replace all your turnbuckles which can
be quite expensive. If you replace your turnbuckles I suggest going for the
swageless ones like Sta-Lok or Norseman, they're re-usable, you don't need a
swaging machine, you can install them yourself onto the wire.

Guy.