[alberg30] Lock the companionway

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at min.net
Sun Mar 19 16:59:47 PST 2000

From: George Dinwiddie <gdinwiddie at min.net>

Lee,

Calypso has a lock kinda like a desk lock, in that when you turn
the key, a tab sticks up from the hatch board behind the companionway
slide.  I'm pretty sure the boat came this way, since the locksmith
said the name on the key was a Canadian company.  I couldn't get
a key made until I noticed the blank matched another key I had.

 - George

finnus505 at aol.com wrote:

> Hey gang,
> Stargazer, #255, came to me with disastrous hatch covers, that all had to be
> rebuilt or replaced.
> the main companionway was locked with a bronze, permanently fixed 'hasp' that
> was attached to the slide, and slipped through a slot in the top drop in
> board when you slid the hatch back to close it.  However, when the hatch was
> slid forward to open it, this non-hinging hasp just stood out, in the ready-
> to-slide-into-the-drop-board position, and I could see that if someone was
> bounced a little forward while going down the companionway, they could really
> get hurt by this protrusion.
> Any one changed the system of locking the main hatch to a safer, but just as
> easy, one?
> thx,
> Lee

DON'T HATE YOUR RATE!
Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds!  Get rates as low as
Apply NOW!
http://click.egroups.com/1/2120/5/_/476031/_/953513788/