[alberg30] Cutless bearing case

Bob Lincoln lincoln at cc.umanitoba.ca
Mon Mar 27 07:58:50 PST 2000

From: "Bob Lincoln" <lincoln at cc.umanitoba.ca>

	The bronze Cutless housing sits flush against the hull, and
the rudder tube is packed into the hull with sealant.
	I pulled the shaft and stern tube as well as the bronze
housing a month ago.  The tube is well cemented in with a
grey sealant that is flexible.  To remove the tube and stern
fitting I had to take all of the sealant out, which meant
using a chisel and scraper.  The result is a nice hole
slightly bigger than the tube which is nominal one inch
brass pipe.  Once off the pipe unthreads from the flange and
the Cutless bearing can be pushed out in a press, or you can
cut it, which I did not do because bronze is so soft.  I
found it impossible to locate a new 8 inch piece of brass
pipe to replace the tube, so I resealed the old one.  A
machinist turned some grooves on the front of the pipe to
hold the stuffing box hose more securely.  As an extra step
I bored out the top flange hole and put in a bolt from the
inside, with lock nuts on the outside.  The bottom hole was
just resealed, and screwed in, as you can't get a socket on
it once the tube and shaft are re-assembled.   I think I
used Life Seal to form a gasket around the flange, pipe and
hole.  It looks ok so far.
Bob Lincoln
Indigo #590