[alberg30] Fiberglass water tank

Bob Lincoln lincoln at cc.umanitoba.ca
Mon May 1 07:11:28 PDT 2000

Question about water tank.  On Indigo the tank is part
of the liner, gelcoated, with a metal top.  I cleaned
it out well with the pink cleaner that home brewers use
to clean and sterilize bottles.  Now a friend told me
he read somewhere that you shouldn't have potable water
from a gelcoted fiberglass tank because of some
migration from the resins into the water.  That's news
to me.  Rather than tear it out and replace it with a
new poly tank, is there any substance to this story?  I
seem to recall articles describing how to make your own
fiberglass tank and there were no ill effects
mentioned.
Bob Lincoln
Indigo #590