[alberg30] Jouet

finnus505 at aol.com finnus505 at aol.com
Fri May 26 17:19:24 PDT 2000

In a message dated 5/25/00 3:03:47 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
philippe.de-bersuder at wanadoo.fr writes:

<< ume, your french is perfect! I'll send a view (as soon as possible) of
 french Triton made by JOUET company in 60' years, from an old newspaper
 ("Bateaux", february
 1965). If you're interested I can send you the whole article (in french...).
 See you, philippe.

Hey Philippe,
that is interesting that a french company built Tritons.  I never knew that
before.
I recognize the Jouet name, because my first boat was built by them!  When I
was 13, I had a Marauder, which was a 15 foot cold molded sloop, that had a
blister-shaped, molded fiberglass trunkcabin, and was completely decked
except for the cockpit.  Down below, everything was varnished, which included
the v berth, the lockers at the foot of the bunks, and the cold molded
mahagony interior of the hull.  She was a keel /centerboard design.
She and a sistership were to be the nucleus of a sailing school in Brookyn,
NY, where I grew up, but things did not work as planned, and I first saw the
two boats where they had been abandoned in the parking lot of Dead Horse Bay
Marina.  They had both been stripped of gear, but one of the two was in a
little better shape than the other, and that was the one I bought with two
partners for 50.00.  It only took us two years to get together a rig, and
make her ship shape, and once launched, she sailed very nicely.  Jouet had
made a good boat.
Thanks for bringing back the nice memories.
Lee
Stargazer #255