[alberg30] chlorination

Hugh Freebairn hughfree at hotmail.com
Tue May 30 04:31:52 PDT 2000

While it sounds like Marianne's test is relatively simple to perform it
would be interesting to know how much bleach needs to be added to say 5
gallons of water in a worse case scenario when the water conditions are
pretty bad but obviously the water would still look palatable.  The other
problem is that just because you have a water supply that passes this test
today does not mean that it will pass a week from now since that residual
chlorine is slowly lost from the water and your tank water will end up going
bad.  I have certainly had this happen when storing even properly treated
municipal water.  Again, while this test does sound easy to perform it
requires that the cruising yachtsman carry a supply of the tablets and the
test kit.  What I would like to see come out of this discussion is a fairly
reliable rule of thumb like the one I have been using so long (1 tsp per 5
gallons) which I don't necessarily believe is the optimal treatment ratio.
If you've ever cruised extensively in third world countries you might see
the difficulty in repeatedly running this test instead of just following a
rule of thumb.

Hugh Freebairn
Alberg 30 "Aliage"