[alberg30] Cutlass Bearing Replacement & Zinc

David Swanson zira at mindspring.com
Sun May 7 15:52:45 PDT 2000

Jim -

I removed mine using method #3.  It was easy, but if someone did this in the past
& used 5200 or something to re-bed it, it would be much more difficult.  I would
try # 2 first, then # 3, then # 1 as a last resort.  I had to use a gear puller &
a torch to get my prop off the first time.  I grease it up good with water pump
grease now & it comes off fairly easily.

I use the stern nut zinc, West #132573 I think.  Measure your shaft to be sure.
It fits in the prop opening with room to spare.  Zinc must be submerged outside
the boat.

Don't know about putting a zinc on the rudder shoe.  If you put it in with bronze
bolts it should be okay (says the man who lost one last year).

The A4 is not set up for a zinc if raw-water cooled.  There has been a lot of
discussion on the A4 mail list about this.  You might look through past postings
or post again there.  Fresh-water cooled engines usually have a zinc in the heat
exchanger.

Hope this helps.

dls
Strayaway Child
Alberg 30 #229

miabarchet at aol.com wrote:

> I am about to change my cutlass bearing and have a few questions I hope the
> group can answer.  I have read three (3) methods.
> 1. Remove prop and shaft, reach inside the bearing with a hacksaw blade and
> cut the bearing in two places to collapse the bearing.
>
> 2. Remove the set screws on the stem gland and tap out the bearing with a
> punch trough the water intake vents on the forward end of the gland.
>
> 3. Remove Prop. Stem Gland set screws, and the bolts holding the stem gland
> to the Keel or deadwood. Then "unscrewing" the Gland.
>
> My first question is why the authors put unscrewing in "quotation" marks?
> How difficult is it to "unscrew" the Stem Gland?
> Do I have to be concerned about the shaft log turning when I unscrew the
> gland?
> Does anyone know the dimensions of the cutlass bearing or have a West Marine
> or Boat US part #?
> Is a Gear Puller needed to remove the Prop?
>
> In an unrelated issue, I do not have Zincs on my boat. Being in fresh water
> only 5 months a year this has not been a big problem but I know It should be
> addressed.
> So, please indulge me with a few more questions.
>
> There is no room on the prop shaft to add a zinc as the prop is right against
> (almost) the stem gland.  Has anyone used the pop nut with zinc attached? If
> so do you know the stock #?
>
> Would adding a shaft zinc inside the boat help or does it need to be
> submersed?
>
> There has been much discussion about the rudder shoe. Would it be advisable
> or worthwhile to drill and tap a hole to mount a zinc to the rudder shoe and
> the stem gland?
>
> Does anyone know where to attach zincs to an Atomic 4 and what type to use?
>
> Thanks for any info you might be able to provide and my apologies for the
> number of questions.
>
> Jim Allocco
> Barchetta Mia #565

Get your money connected @ OnMoney.com - the first Web site that lets
you see and manage all of your finances all in one place.
http://click.egroups.com/1/3012/8/_/476031/_/957728932/