[alberg30] GPSs

Marjorie Goettle mgoettle at erols.com
Wed May 10 11:42:47 PDT 2000

Gordo

No, I know of no EASY, small GPS, but don't get too bamboozled.  Had
similar complaints about my Garmin 48 when we bought it 2 years ago --
(has bouys in it which are "mapped" on screen when you are near them,
but found no lat/lons for them, which made me mad). Believe that the 48
is marine oriented, while the Garmin 12 is land oriented, but of course
cheaper.  Got used to entering lat/lons pretty quick.  Can enter a
lat/lon in a minute or so now.  One trick I use is to sort the waypoints
from nearest to farthest. Then, when I want to enter a new waypoint from
the chart, I pick an already entered waypoint that is close to it, edit
that one and store it under a new name.  You can do that with the Garmin
without destroying the original waypoint.  Fast once you get used to it.

Still hate scrolling through the alphabet and numbers, though.  We like
the Garmin 48 MUCH better than the older Magellan we now keep just as a
backup.  Besides the nice edit on the Garmin, we can correct our entry
mistakes before storing the lat/lon, which we never found a way to do on
the Magellan.  That Magellan was REALLY a pain.

Agree with you totally about "everyone" using a laptop and chart plotter
-- no way! We NEVER turn on our laptop underway except in a flat calm,
and we have no desire to buy all the CD charts needed to coastal cruise
from Maine to the Bahamas.  It would cost a forture, and would need the
paper charts anyway.  Worked with computers too many years to trust
them.

Marjorie
--
Marjorie & Bill Goettle and the cat crew of
SV Jubilant - Allied Princess ketch #108

Bids starting at $7 for thousands of products - uBid.com
http://click.egroups.com/1/3027/8/_/476031/_/957977084/