[alberg30] Mast Issues

finnus505 at aol.com finnus505 at aol.com
Tue May 2 15:55:49 PDT 2000

Hey Allan.
We had to rewire the mast on Stargazer.  We did it with the mast on saw
horses on the ground-would have been a good deal more difficult with the mast
stepped!!!
There was a lot of junk in our mast; two or three dead wires, two or three
dead wires from old masthead instruments that were gone by the time we got
the boat!
By tying a lite line to one of the dead wires before pulling it through, we
had a messenger line to put the new wires in place.
We used ancor marine wire for the lights, and the proper coax for the radio
antenna.  Left long tails on the bottom of the mast to account for any
measuring mistakes.
We bought 1" foam air conditioning hose insulation at Home Depot for 99 cents
for a 6 foot lenght.  A total of 5 or 6 of themmatched the length of the
wires. We pushed the hose over the wires and antenna cable up the mast before
they were brought through the little holes just above the bottom of the mast,
while the wires were still protruding through the large opening on the bottom
of the mast.  Obviously, the steaming light, (no spreader lights for us) had
it's own hose.
the purpose of the hose; to stop the wire slapping the inside of the mast
when at a mooring, so we can sleep!!!  the hose also protects the wires from
any prtotruding fastenings in the mast.
Hope this helps,
Lee
Stargazer #255

Now the best and coolest websites come right to you based on your
unique interests. eTour.com is surfing without searching.
And, it's FREE!
http://click.egroups.com/1/3013/5/_/476031/_/957308155/