[alberg30] reefing

rap1208 at aol.com rap1208 at aol.com
Fri May 5 07:40:05 PDT 2000

Dick, this all great advice from Finn.  I just have one comment to add.  I
have a jack line, but it is set up so that I never fool with it.  No knots to
untie, just drop the halyard to the reefing hook, pull the lines that go to
the leach of the sail. Cleat, and re-hoist.  All very quick and Tidy.  Mine
is also set up so that the 2nd reef requires no slides to be removed either.
Takes about a minute to reef.  Less with a good crew.   Also, a flatening
reef is a great idea too.  It requires a reefing cringle about 1 ft up on the
leach, an eye strap to tie the line on, a cheek block, line and a cleat
forward for the line.  Tie the line to the eye strap, run it up through the
cringle, down to the cheek block, forward to the cleat.  Simple.  To make it
easier, I riged a 3 part tackle  on the boom.  Cheep, and very good as the
wind picks up, to depower.
Russ Pfeiffer