[alberg30] White Oak

Charles Haggart chaggart at sympatico.ca
Sat May 20 13:33:28 PDT 2000

White Oak is a good choice for boat construction because of its straight
grain and strength. It doesn't stand up to rot though. My first boat was a
continental Folkboat ( strip-plank mahogany on white oak frames ). She was a
mess when I got her and I rebuilt deck, cockpit, transom, stem the cause?
you got it, ROT which started in the Oak. When I replaced the Oak I treated
each piece with cuprinol (a product you can't get anymore due to its toxic
nature) which did the trick.

On my Alberg 30 #150 1966 the mast support beam is laminated Oak. She was
never worked to hard over the years so there is hardly any compression
deforming.

Save 75% on Products!
Find incredible deals on overstocked items with Free shipping!
http://click.egroups.com/1/4013/8/_/476031/_/958854751/