[alberg30] Mast support beam

Tom Sutherland sutherlandt at prodigy.net
Mon May 22 21:20:00 PDT 2000

Russ .... Thanks for the reply.  I assume you installed this yourself
since you had it on three boats.  Can I find one of these at say West
Marine or Defenders ?

I am not at home right now and do not have any  catalogs with me ... I
plan to check this out as soon as I return home. I have always loosened
my rig during the off season but really like the idea of loosening when
I leave the boat.

rap1208 at aol.com wrote:

> Tom,    sure thing .  The Johnson back stay adjuster  (I've used them
> on thre
> different boats) is a very simple thing.  You must have your backstay
> shortened enough to accept the fitting, which will be swedged on, so
> the mast
> must be down.
>
> The fitting has two handles, and you fold them both out.  They are a
> friction fit when snaped down.  You hold one handle for the backstay,
> and
> turn the other to tension it.   It is like a large turnbuckle with
> handles.
> The backstay has a block inside the turnbuckle to keep that part from
> going
> too far, and completly unscrewiing.  A little practice will show  you
> how
> much tension you need for normal sailing.  Not too pricey an item
> either,
> compared to other brands
>
> Russ Pfeiffer

Now the best and coolest websites come right to you based on your
unique interests. eTour.com is surfing without searching.
And, it's FREE!
http://click.egroups.com/1/3013/8/_/476031/_/959059035/