[alberg30] Oak

Robert Kirk kirk at neptune.gsfc.nasa.gov
Wed May 24 22:44:40 PDT 2000

At 08:44 PM 24-05-00 -0400, finnus505 at aol.com wrote:
>[...]
>White oak is more resistant to rot than red oak, primarily because the xylem
>and phloem, or internal passages that moisture and sap traverse in the living
>wood, of the white oak are interupted, while those of the red oak are
>continuous through the wood, and so are a better passage for fungi in the cut
>wood
>however, many other hardwoods, such as ash or hickory, are more rot resistant
>than oak. [...]

My old  Marks Mechanical engineering Handbook agrees that amongst the
domestic woods, white oak is pretty rot resistant.  Cedar, cypress,
redwood, black locust, & black walnut are better. But they're not exactly
construction woods. Douglas fir, white pine, yellow pine, & red gum are
comparable, while the rest are relatively more rot prone, including red
oak. Kent's agrees that ash & hickory are in this lower group along
with  red oak. The real losers are aspen, cottenwood, commercial white fir,
& willow.

The important thing to remember is that you must have heartwood to be rot
resistant. Sap wood is useless.

Wood rots best at ~ 25% moisture. Dry wood and saturated wood won't rot,
but the cellulose will eventually dissolve out of saturated wood, but at a
longer time scale than our boat lives.

Speaking of yellow pine, that's a remarkably rot resistant wood. I've seen
hundred year old houses when I lived in Louisiana which were supported on
their original native yellow pine posts with no trace of rot. Heartwood. of
course. Wonder why they didn't make boats of it? Probably because cypress
was so handy along the bayous.

Bob Kirk
Isobar #181

Missing old school friends?  Find them here:
http://click.egroups.com/1/4055/8/_/476031/_/959222586/