[alberg30] Mast support beam

rap1208 at aol.com rap1208 at aol.com
Thu May 25 20:08:39 PDT 2000

Tom, I didn't install it myself.  You must remove the backstay and take it
somewhere that does swedging.  they will shorten the back stay, and install
the fitting.  Remember, it has a lot of pressure on it, and I wouldn't try
this at home (as they say) I don't remember just where I bought mine.  I
suspect at least 2 were purchased from Thomas Hardware in Grosse Point, but
West marine should be able to order them for you.  There are different sizes,
and you want to check out the specks....I don't remember the part number of
mine.  Any rigging house, or sailmaker should be able to do it in a mater of
hours.  The best thing is , it alows you to adjust tension to suit the wind.
In a chop, loosen it to get a little headstay sag.  That powers up the genoa,
and moves the boat through the chop, where a tight backstay in those
conditions will not move as well.  In heavy weather, if course, tighten it
for better pointing and less sag.  A little experimentation will show you the
way.
Russ

http://click.egroups.com/1/4634/8/_/476031/_/959310524/