[Alberg30] Gray Marine or Atomic 4

Robert Kirk kirk at neptune.gsfc.nasa.gov
Wed Nov 1 16:05:07 PST 2000

  +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
  | The BT Global Challenge, a round-the-world race of matched boats sailing against the    |
  | prevailing winds, left Boston October 15 for Buenos Aires.  Check it out, online, at    |
  | http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=22673860&siteid=32743498&bfpage=bt_challenge |
  +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

>My boat has the original Gray Marine engine. We had it removed this fall
>for an overhaul  [...]

>Tom Dodds
># 184  Stage One

That's interesting. My boat is #181 and it has an Atomic 4. I assume it was
original.  Could I be wrong and the A4 was a replacement?

It would seem strange if it was. By the time an original Gray wore
out  we're well into the diesel era and replacement with an A4 would be
unusual.  Does anyone know when Whitby changed from Gray to
Universal?  Alternatively, maybe they were options and you could specify
either one in those days?

Bob Kirk
Isobar #181