[Alberg30] Alberg30 Winterizing

FINKENBERG, Lincoln LFINKENBERG at EMMETMARVIN.COM
Fri Nov 17 12:38:41 PST 2000

	Any tips on winterizing, covering the boat, etc., for the low budget
man?

	Just got done redoing all the teak on the boat -- broke a cardinal
rule or two along the way -- used a porter cable detail sander and even used
some 80 grit sandpaper in spots (I can hear the cringing -- yikes). I saw
how really potent teak cleaners literally eats away the soft fiber and
decided I'd rather sand out the stains.  In getting to know every inch of
teak on the boat I found that yes teak does rot, bust, crack and split right
open when neglected -- the biggest killer in my opinion is any crevice, ding
or whole where water can get in, settle and freeze -- swelling and busting
the wood.  I sealed all opening with epoxy mixed with the teak sawdust from
the sanding -- I think sealing is probably an often overlooked part of teak
care (the focus of course being on the sanding and varnishing) - especially
the stern portion of the toerail which are three 1/4 thick layers of teak --
two layers of which swelled right up from water getting in between.

	By the way -- I'm thinking of renaming the boat -- besides letting
the boat know that the new owner is a real great guy and that any boat
should be glad to be with the new owner -- are there any other rituals
necessary to do in renaming the boat?

	Thought it would be fun to talk about my Alberg 30 with interested
folks, thanks George for keeping this list going.

	Lincoln
	Gypsy #138
	Flushing Bay