[Alberg30] Yanmar 3GM

James Davis a30240 at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 27 18:11:33 PST 2000

Randy
I agree that the 3GM is a bit big for the A30, but not that much too big.  I have a 2GM in my boat and it is fine.  As to the lack of a drip pan, no it isn't illegal and all of the older boats (with out liners) don't have drip pans.  With the newer boats, to put a deep engine like the Yanmar, any pan must be removed.  One could make a pan out of plywood and glass it in, but I don't know of anyone who has.  One question would be what is the hull number, or does the boat have a wood interior, or a fiberglass liner.

As to the drips, hard to say what/where they came from.  It could be a problem, or more likely a small spill during an oil change that didn't get fully wiped off.  I'm guilty in this respect, as I'm sure most of us.
Jim Davis
Isa Lei
240