[Alberg30] Alberg30 Winterizing

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at min.net
Sat Nov 18 18:07:54 PST 2000

  | Visit the incipient Alberg 30 Online Store |
  |      http://www.alberg30.org/store/        |
Lincoln,

> "FINKENBERG, Lincoln" wrote:
>
>         Any tips on winterizing, covering the boat, etc., for the low
> budget man?

	[snip]

I'm pretty lackadaisacal about covering the boat, and, down here in
Maryland, I seem to get away with it.  Is you boat on land or in the
water?  If on land, I suggest removing the engine water intake hose
from the through-hull and opening the seacock.  That can prevent a
major catastrophe in case rainwater (or melting snow) does find its
way below.

> sealed all opening with epoxy mixed with the teak sawdust from the
> sanding
	[snip]
Does epoxy stick well to teak?

>         By the way -- I'm thinking of renaming the boat -- besides
> letting the boat know that the new owner is a real great guy and that
> any boat should be glad to be with the new owner -- are there any
> other rituals necessary to do in renaming the boat?
	[snip]
I've heard a bunch of different ceremonies, but I've never saved any
of them.  I remember that you want to convince the boat (or Poseidon)
that you're not really "renaming" but restoring the "proper" name.  I.E.
that the previous name wasn't really the boat's correct name.  I've also
heard that you want to remove the old name from the transom and then
sail backwards, before applying the new name.  Whatever ceremony you
choose, I think it's imperative that you include your favorite libation
and that you share a few drops of same with Poseidon.

 - George