[alberg30] A-4 Gasoline Fumes

Rick Leach rleach at mbayaq.org
Wed Oct 11 19:56:44 PDT 2000

Ahoy!

First off, I'll second Dan S.'s urgent suggestion to determine the source of
the gasoline fumes.  Places to look would include: loose or leaky fittings,
chafed or cracked hoses, over-filled carb (from a stuck needle valve or
saturated float), or maybe a ruptured diaphragm on a mechanical fuel pump
(which will leak gasoline into the crankcase).

Secondly, I have a quick question about the two cylinders that have low
compression: Are they adjacent to each other?  If so, there is a good chance
that the problem is only a leak in the head gasket between the two
cylinders.  Changing the head gasket on an Atomic Four is a relatively minor
task (depending on access). Have you tried the old trick of putting a
tablespoon of oil into the low compression cylinders through the spark plug
hole, rolling it over a few times and rechecking the compression?  If you
get a noticeable improvement in compression, it indicates a problem with
your rings...which would mean a considerably more involved repair.

If money were no object, I'm sure we'd all have diesels by now.  But with a
little perseverance, regular maintenance and proper operating habits, an ol'
Atomic Four can be a safe, reliable and economical powerplant.

Cheers!

Rick Leach
Sugar Magnolia, #121

Dial 1-800-555-TELL -- You Won't Believe Your Ears!
For more details, click here:
http://click.egroups.com/1/9537/10/_/476031/_/971319201/