[alberg30] Re: gas smell with A-4

Daniel Sternglass dans at stmktg.com
Wed Oct 11 15:56:20 PDT 2000

Lorelei23 at AOL.com wrote:

> My boat has an Atomic 4 engine.  It runs great but I am told I should replace
> it with a diesel engine.  The A4 is old, two cylinders show low compression
> and it uses a little oil but my main complaint is the smell of gas in the
> cabin/salon.
>
> Any recommendations?

Yes -- Don't run it until you find the gas leak!

If gas is leaking, it is an explosion hazard. Fuel lines, fuel valve,
filter or carb are leading candidates. I know a guy who was blown off a
boat and into the water by the explosion of gas fumes in a sailboat
bilge about 10 years ago. In any case, you should not smell gas in the
cabin. A -slight- smell in the compartment with the tank is normal, but
not in the engine compartment and -certainly- not the cabin. With my
A-4, which is old but has gotten a lot of work done on it this year,
there is almost no gas smell.

BTW, as a licensed explosives operator, I can testify that one cup of
vaporized gasoline is about equal to full stick of dynamite...

--Dan S.
dans at stmktg.com
"Watcher of the Skies" #201, 1966 (also), Cayuga Lake, Ithaca, NY

Get FREE long-distance phone calls on Tellme!
Click here for the scoop:
http://click.egroups.com/1/9531/10/_/476031/_/971305298/